Hiccups are faced by every person irrespective of gender or age. There are some misconceptions about hiccups and the process of getting rid of it.
Most hiccups can go away on their own, but some can last for a longer time. So, it’s necessary to understand hiccups, it’s causes and ways to get rid of it.
In some cases, people can experience persistent hiccups. They must consult with doctors instead of trying home remedies to get rid of hiccups.
Most people experience short hiccups which can be tackled by following some of the home remedies. So, here’s how to get rid of hiccups in a short time.
Before going to home remedies to get rid of hiccups, let’s understand what are hiccups and its scientific reasons.
What Are Hiccups?
Hiccups are involuntary contractions of the diaphragm. It’s caused when a person’s intake of air is momentarily locked (for a very small time and nothing to worry about) due to vocal cord snaps trying to shout down air which causes weird noise at the time of hiccups.
You don’t need to worry about these short hiccups. If your hiccups are not stopping even after 48 hours (2 days) then you need to consult a doctor.
Why Do We Get Hiccups?
Irritation of nerves from neck to chest can cause Hiccups. Irritation to these nerves can be caused by many things like eating fast, smoking, drinking too much, etc.
When we eat too fast, the stomach which is directly below the diaphragm swells due to pressure. This irritates diaphragm and while breathing in, causes it to contract. This contraction of the diaphragm causes hiccups.
What are the Causes of Hiccups?
Following are the causes of hiccups:
- Eating too fast, drinking fizzy drinks (causing swallowing of air like condition)
- Sudden rise in excitement level or emotional stress
- Excess smoking
- Excess Alcohol drinking
- Sudden change in temperature of the body due to very hot or very cold food intake.
These things might cause you hiccups. The body tries to resist the irritation causes to diaphragm results in hiccups.
How to Get Rid of Hiccups
Short hiccups can be cures with the following remedies. If you are experiencing hiccups for longer than 48 hours, it’s time to consult with your doctor.
1. Hold the breath for a few seconds and drink water
Hold you breathe for around 10 to 20 seconds and then breathe out slowly. Drink some water to settle it down. It will help to get rid of hiccups quickly.
2. Breath in a paper bag
This sounds weird, but in some cases, it could help you to get rid of hiccups fast. Keep your mouth in the paper bag (hold bag around your lips). Inhale and exhale with your mouth inside the bag. Repeating it for 5-6 times will stop your hiccups.
3. Drink water upside down
- Take a glass of water and stand in a straight position.
- Instead of drinking in a normal way, touch lips to the opposite edge of the glass.
- You need to bend to drink water in such manner.
- Your abdominal muscles bends and helps to get rid of hiccups.
- At the same time, you drink water which also helps in getting rid of hiccups.
4. Bend down to hug your knees
Bend yourself in such a way that your chest touches your knees. It stretches abdominal muscles and can help to stop hiccups.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Hiccups
Home remedies are best when it’s about getting rid of hiccups. There are many home remedies to get rid of hiccups and the effectiveness of these remedies differs from person to person.
These home remedies won’t harm your health. So, here’s the list of home remedies to get rid of hiccups fast.
- Eating a tablespoon of dry sugar in one go. (repeat for 2-3 times)
- Eat 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and wait for a few seconds.
- Wrap ice cubes in a cotton cloth and apply it on the nape (back of the neck)
- Eat dry bread slowly till the hiccups stop.
- Mix 1 lemon juice with 1 tablespoon of honey. Add a little amount of water to make it drinkable. Drink this and hiccups will go away.
- Add salt to the warm water and gargle with it. It might take some time, but it’s effective in most of the cases)
All the above remedies to stop hiccups are tried and tested. They all are capable enough to stop hiccups within seconds.
How To Get Rid Of Hiccups In Babies (Infant) and Newborns
Adults can try various measures to get rid of hiccups but that’s not the case with babies. Generally, parents are worried when their babies face hiccups.
The mixture of lemon juice and honey with some water can be helpful to get rid of hiccups in babies and newborns.
How To Get Rid Of Hiccups And Heartburn
This is the worst case when we encounter hiccups and heartburn at the same time. To tackle this, you need to drink a cup of cold milk to take le the situation. If it still doesn’t work, apply ice cups on the backside of your neck along with it.