Big round shoulders make good bodies look great. Strong, functional shoulders help you to lift other compound exercises better. When your shoulders are developed from every angle it looks completely round, thick and bigger. Most people concentrate only on anterior delt and lateral delt but forget to train rear delts. We should not make this mistake while doing a shoulder workout. If you train all three heads on a regular basis, you will get a crazy shoulder thickness, broadness, and perfect shape.
Make a 6-day workout plan for better results. Focus on the shoulder muscles, how to workout, and correct posture while doing any workout.
We will talk about Anatomy, best shoulder workout, selective shoulder exercises, step by step process, precautions and much more. So, read this detailed guide on shoulder workout till the end.
There are a total of three heads in shoulders :
1) ANTERIOR DELTOIDS (FRONT SHOULDER)
Anterior Deltoids is the front third of your shoulder which originates along the lateral third of the clavicle which inserts the deltoid tuberosity of our humerus. This muscle group is responsible for abduction, flexion, as well as internal rotation.
2) LATER DELTOIDS (SIDE SHOULDERS)
Lateral deltoids also called acromial fibers arise from the superior surface of the acromion process of the scapula.
The main function of lateral fibers is to abduct the human arm by pulling humerus toward the acromion. This results in moving away from the arm from the body. Contraction of these posterior fibers also results in lateral rotation of the arm. This Later deltoid is also known as middle delts, outer delts, or side delts.
3) POSTERIOR DELTOIDS (REAR DELTS)
Posterior deltoid is located at the backside of the shoulder, so it is also called as the rear deltoids. posterior deltoids constitute one of the three muscle locations of the overall deltoid muscle in the shoulder.
Its main function is to extend the shoulder which causes the movement of bringing your arm behind you. Lateral rotation of the shoulder is possible because of posterior deltoids.
Best Shoulder Exercises To Build Shoulder Muscles
1) Barbell Shoulder Press
How to do Barbell Shoulder Press:
- Take the barbell and set the weight according to your capacity taking overhand grip.
- Grab the bar from the deadlift position and take it just above your chest. This will be your starting position. Your wrist and elbows should be in the same line.
- Keep your core tight, chest up and keep a normal distance of your legs.
- Now take the barbell all the way up and pause for 2 seconds.
- Exhale while you lift the barbell up.
- Bring back barbell at your chin level to complete one rep. Inhale when you bring down the barbell.
- The shoulder press can be a dangerous exercise if not performed with correct form. So make sure you are not over lifting. It will be better if you have any partner or personal trainer to look after you.
- If available, use the Smith Machine.
- If you are having any previous injury on your shoulder, kindly consult the doctor before performing the exercise.
2) Arnold Press
How to do Arnold Presses:
- Take two dumbbells and sit on a bench.
- Keep your back straight.
- Keep overhand grip on both dumbbells and lift them to your shoulders and palms facing forward.
- Press your arms to an extended vertical position.
3) Dumbbell Lateral Raises
How to do Dumbbell Lateral Raises:
- Take two dumbbells and stand straight.
- Keep your both legs slightly spread. This is your starting position.
- Your back should be straight throughout the exercise.
- Keep your elbows slightly bent and raise both the dumbbells up to shoulders.
- Then return back to the starting position to complete one repetition.
- Exhale when you raise the dumbbells and inhale while returning to starting position.
4) Super set Of Dumbbell Rear Delt Flyes & Reverse Peck Deck Flyes.
A) Dumbbell Rear Delt Flyes
How to do Dumbbell Rear Delt Flyes:
- Take two dumbbells according to your capacity.
- Keep your feet about shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your knees slightly bent and your back bent about 45 degrees forward.
- With head facing downwards, keep your back arched along with a neutral spine.
- Keep your core tight. Bring your arms forward and elbows slightly bent. This is your starting position.
- Now bring your arms up in a lateral way, so that your arms are parallel to the floor.
- Exhale while you take your arms up.
- Pause for one second and come back slowly to the starting position to complete one repetition
- Keep the full range of motion and controlled movement.
- If you are having lower back injury or slip disc problem ,you should avoid this exercise.
B) Reverse Pec Deck Flyes
How to do Reverse Pec Deck Flyes:
- Sit down on the machine.
- Your upper body should be flat against the pad. You can take neutral or pronated grip to the handles provided. This will be your starting position.
- Before bringing your arms back, contract your rear delts and traps. Your elbows should be slightly bent when you take your arms back.
- Pause for 2 seconds, when your shoulders blades pinch together and come back slowly to the starting position to complete one rep.Inhale when you return back to starting position.
5) Dumbbells Upright Rows
How to do Dumbbells Upright Rows:
- Stand straight and keep your feet at a normal distance.
- Keep your arms extended downwards and palms are facing you. This will be your starting position.
- Now raise the dumbbells straight up to your shoulders.
- Keep your shoulders in outward position and bend your arms in such a way that they will be parallel with the floor.
- Pause for a moment and then inhale as you reverse the motion back to the starting position.