Training legs is the most difficult part but also the most important workout. Most of the people skip leg day because of the pain. But we also have to remember that “no pain go gain”.
You all would have noticed people in the gym with the great upper body, but with chicken legs. It looks worst when your body is not symmetrical. That’s the reason we should never skip leg day workout.
So, here’s the best leg workouts plan which will turn your chicken legs into the beast. Training legs not only improve the lower body, but they also make the whole body symmetrical. To shape your legs perfectly, you need to train every muscle of the legs.
Also, the biggest plus point of leg workouts is that it carries many compound exercises, which work more than 1 muscle at a time. Let’s know the anatomy of the legs.
Leg Workouts | Understand the Anatomy
Leg has in total four muscles as follows.
Quadriceps has four sub muscles
a) Rectus Femoris
b) Vastus Lateralis
c) Vastus Medialis
d) Vastus Intermedius
Calves has two sub muscles
a) Lateral Gastronemmius
b) Medial Gastronemmius
2) Soleius Muscle
Perfect Leg Workouts While Bulking
Following is the best leg workouts you can follow to make your legs stronger. Before doing any workout listed down, please consult with your doctor. For better results you should go for the workouts with machinces so the reccomnedation would be to do leg workout at the gym. The intensity of the wourkout depends on the type of results like if you are bulking or cutting. Here is the complete guide on leg workouts for mass/bulking. You can also check The ultimate Gym Workout Plan for Beginners
1. Barbell Squats
Keep the weight of the barbell high, as you are bulking and want to add size. But don’t do overweight, set the weight according to your capacity.
How to do Barbell Squat:
1. Start standing up straight.
2. Keep barbell behind your neck.
3. Your toes should be pointed slightly outwards.
5. Bend your knees and drop your hips until your knees reach a 90-degree angle while holding your back straight.
6. Push back up to the standing position.
7. Repeat it 6-8 times.
1) If you are having any lower back injury or slip disc, kindly avoid the barbell squat. First, consult your doctor or personal trainer before performing it.
2) The barbell squat is a risky exercise, if not performed with the correct form. It’s better that you have a partner or a personal trainer, while you are performing this exercise. To avoid injuries you can use the Smith Machine.
2. Leg Extension
How to do Leg Extension:
1. The leg extension is performed on the machine itself.
2. Sit on the machine with the correct posture.
3. Set the weight according to your capacity and then extend your leg.
4. Repeat it 8 – 10 times.
3. Dumbbell Lunges
How to do Dumbbell Lunges:
1. Take dumbbells according to your capacity.
2. Lower body until thigh is parallel to the floor.
3. Your knees should not surpass your toes. That will be the wrong form of fo exercise.
4. Press into the heel to drive back up.
5. Repeat on the other side.
Breath our while you lunge and breath in when you stand back
4. Hamstring Curls
How to do Hamstring Curls:
1. Hamstring curls are done on the machine itself.
2. Set the weight according to your capacity.
3. Do the repetitions slowly and pause for 2 seconds when you curl and
4. Come back slowly to the starting position.
Before going to the next workout, it's important to know that...
The soleus muscle is under the gastrocnemius. Many people while performing calf raises don’t know whether they are training soleus muscle or gastrocnemius muscle. If training gastrocnemius, they don’t know whether they are training lateral or medial. That is the reason we should have a muscle mind connection. While performing any exercise you should have muscle mind connection. That means your mind should be connected with that muscle. When you train your soleus muscle you have to hit rep ranges from 15- 20, then only soleus muscle gets activated. Because soleus muscle is 80 % slow-twitch muscle fiber and 20% fast-twitch muscle fiber. That means it takes time to get activated. Doesn’t matter whether you are bulking or cutting, if you want to train your soleus muscle rep range should always between 15-20.
5. Superset Of Standing Calf Raises And Seated Calf Raises
1. Standing calf raises
a) Toes pointing slightly inwards
b) Toes pointing slightly outwards
How to do Standing Calf Raises:
1. Standing calf raises can be done on the machine as well as with dumbbells.
2. Stand straight and hold dumbbells in your hand.
3. Raise your heels until you are standing on your toes, squeeze it and get back to starting position.
4. Do a superset of standing calf raise. First, do with toes pointing outwards and then do it with toes pointing inwards.
5. Do this 3 times.
2. Seated calf raises
How to do Seated Calf Raises:
- Sit on a bench with a dumbbell in you hand and resting on your thighs.
- Now repeat the process of standing calf raises.
You can also follow this workout while cutting. Only the thing you have to do is increase your rep range and decrease the barbell and dumbbell weights. Make sure you are taking a clean diet here (calorie deficit).