How to do Barbell Bench Press? Barbells bench press is one of the most common workout done for chest exercise. From beginners to power lifter, everyone perform this exercise to strengthen their chest. Bench press is actually a full body, compound exercise. This workout is mainly for the chest but it also strengthen your shoulder and triceps.
It’s most effective workout for upper body. Follow the instructions and steps if you don’t know how to do barbell bench press. This is basic and simplest chest workout that can be performed by anybody.
Barbell bench press medium grip gives your chest muscles strength. Also, helps in building your full body strength. Follow the following steps for barbell bench press so that you don’t make any silly mistake.
How to do Barbell Bench Press?
- Lie back on a flat bench. Lift the bar with a medium width grip. lift the bar from the rack and hold it straight over you with your arms locked. This will be your starting position.
- Now breathe in and slowing take barbell down from the starting position until it touches your middle chest.
- Now, the barbells is on your chest, and you have to push it back to the normal position. Breathe out while this step and focus pushing the bar. Try to push the bar using your chest muscles.
- Lock your arms and squeeze your chest in the contracted position at the top of the motion. Hold for a second and repeat the process.
- Repeat the movement for the prescribed amount of repetitions.
- When you are done, place the bar back in the rack.
Precautions for Barbell Bench Press
1. If you are beginner and not aware about this exercise, it is advised that you use a spotter.
2. If no spotter is available, then be conservative with the amount of weight used.
3. Beware of letting the bar drift too far forward. You want the bar to touch your middle chest and nowhere else.
4. Don’t bounce the weight off your chest. You should be in full control of the barbell at all times.
5. If you find difficulty in lifting the bar, lower the weight instead of doing it wrong.
6. Follow the posture instruction given above. Wrong posture can be the invitation to the muscle failure.
Equipment for Barbell Bench Press
To perform barbell bench press workout, you need few basic accessories like, barbell, barbell weights, and workout bench. These equipment are easily available in the gym, but many people want to workout at home after the pandemic. Choose the best quality is one of the major task while selecting gym equipment.
We have reviewed and shortlisted top rated equipment for barbell bench press.
CAP 7-Foot Olympic Bar for Weightlifting and Power Lifting
– Top rated on Amazon
– 2000+ Trusted Buyers on Amazon
– Weight: 44.1 Pounds
Elevator Fitness Squat Pad Barbell Pad for Squats, Lunges, and Hip Thrusts - Foam Sponge Pad
– High quality rubberized memory foam sponge pad
– Provides relief to neck and shoulders while training
RUNWE Adjustable Dumbbells Barbell Set of 2, 40 50 70 90 100 lbs Free Weight Set with Steel Connector
– This set comes with 12 weight plates
– Non slip safe design
FLYBIRD Weight Bench, Adjustable Strength Training Bench for Full Body Workout
– Unique frame with triangular structure and made of heavy-duty commercial quality steel
– Designed with 7 back positions & 3 seat positions for Full Body Workout