With the increasing number of diseases and stress levels, many people are turning towards physical and mental exercises to maintain a healthy lifestyle. So, whenever we talk about fitness, the first thing that comes to our mind is “Going to a Gym” and following a “Strict Diet”. That may be one of the solutions to lead a healthy lifestyle, but that’s not the only solution. It’s possible to maintain a fit body even with exercises at your home. Yes, you read it right, Home Workout.
In this detailed guide on home workout, we will see the best exercises to do at home without any equipment or minimal equipment. After reading this article, you will be damn sure that it’s possible to maintain a healthy lifestyle with home workout and balanced diet.
Importance of Home Workout:
One of the most misunderstood and underestimated sections of Fitness industry is Home Workout. It is either considered inferior to workout at the gym or seen as a less effective alternative when gym’s are closed. But that’s not the case.
Here are the various important aspects of home workout:
- It does not require any special equipment or setup
- It saves your traveling time to the gym and waiting time for machines or equipment.
- You can workout anywhere at your time of convenience.
- You can target core muscles with targeted exercises
- You can proceed at your own pace
- Muscles built with home exercises may take time, but a body built with these exercises is sustainable.
- No need to pay money for gym (instead you can utilize this money in your diet)
Relevance of Home Workout in current Scenario: Corona Outbreak
Common question in your mind will be the relevance of Home workout in the current scenario. Whole world has come to a standstill due to Corona Outbreak. Now, it’s our duty to stay at home and maintain social distancing. All the malls, schools, public gathering places and even gyms are shut down to avoid public gatherings. This is the first time in history that not going to the gym will keep us fit.
But this does not mean that we will not workout. Instead this is a golden opportunity to pay attention towards our health (which we neglected due to tight schedules). We will see the best exercises which you can do at your lock down period.
“A Task done consistently for 21 Days becomes a Habit”. So, you have a golden opportunity to indulge a habit of regular exercise.
Is Home Workout Really Helpful?
Don’t look at home workout as a less effective alternative to gym workout. You can make home workout as efficient as gym workout if you will follow the exercises which we have given in this guide. Different exercises to target different muscle groups will help you to follow 1 Day 1 Muscle workout at your home. Proper blend of cardiovascular and strength training is the key to good health along with diet.
And talking about diet, it’s not possible to calculate the calories and customize our diet due to less availability of food items during lock down period. So, our simple rule will be to select the best possible food items among the available ones.
List of Best Exercises to do at Home
1) Best Shoulder Exercises
Diving dolphin exercise engages your anterior deltoids and enhances stability of the shoulder. It follows a closed-chain movement in which your hands and feet are in a fixed position and major focus is on shoulder muscles.
How to do Diving dolphin Exercise
- Start diving the dolphin with a forearm plank with your elbows exactly under your shoulders and a constant slope from back to toes.
- Walk your feet towards your arms just eight to 12 inches such that your hips are lifted slightly toward the ceiling. Wait for a few seconds.
- Then Lower your hips and keep your body in a straight line as you did in the initial plank position and repeat.
- You can do a small variation by lifting your hand on the lateral side between the above two steps.
Dumbbell lateral raise
The dumbbell lateral raise is an upper body isolation exercise which increases the shoulder strength and tone muscles. This exercise focuses mainly on the lateral or medial head of the deltoid. This exercise increases shoulder strength and size even with light weight repetitions. This can be done in standing as well as sitting position.
How to do Dumbbell lateral raise Exercise (Step by Step Process)
- Stand in a shoulder-width stance and maintain the same distance between the legs.
- Hold a pair of dumbbells with palms facing inward and let them hang at your sides (Start with less weight)
- Slightly incline in forward direction for stability during exercise
- Raise your arms out to the sides till they reach at shoulder level.
- Make sure that there is no elbow movement during the whole process.
- Maintain the position for 1-2 seconds and release. Repeat the Process.
Plank Raise Tap Crunch
This another closed-chain exercise for shoulder stability works on overall shoulder muscles and increases stability. Along with shoulder muscles, it also strengthens core muscles.
How to do Plank Raise Tap Crunch Exercise (Step by Step Process)
- Come in Plank Position and extend your elbow to maintain a constant slope on the spine.
- Lift one hand in forward direction balancing with the other hand. Get back to your original position within 1-2 seconds.
- Now, touch the toe of the opposite side leg with the same hand.
- Complete the same process with another hand.
- Repeat the process till you get exhausted.
2) Best Abs Exercises
Situps are one of the best abdominal exercises which is done by lying on your back and lifting your torso. Your body weight is used to strengthen and tone the core abdominal muscles. It works on the main muscle groups like rectus abdominal, transverse abdominal, and obliques in addition to your hip flexors, chest, and neck.
How to do Sit Ups Exercise (Step by Step Process)
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Keep your hands on the back of your head and try to touch your knees by lifting forward.
- During the process, keep your toes stable on the floor.
- Use your core strength and not the strength of your hands to tilt forward
Leg raises is a strength training exercise which mainly targets the iliopsoas (the anterior hip flexors). Moreover, abdominal muscles are used to stabilize the body during the motion. Rectus abdominis muscle and the internal and external oblique muscles are also involved during leg raises exercise.
How to do Leg Raises Exercise (Step by Step Process)
- Lie on your back, legs straight and joint together.
- Keep your legs straight and then lift them all the way up making 90 degree angle with the body
- During the process, do not lift the butt. Just do the leg movement
- Slowly lower your legs back down till they’re just above the floor(At Least 3-4 inches above ground)
- Remain in this position for 1-2 seconds and then relax
- Repeat the process
Plank is a highly versatile exercise which involves various muscle groups of back, chest, shoulders, neck, and abs with minimum chance of injury.
How to do Plank Exercise (Step by Step Process)
- Place your elbows directly beneath your shoulders (inline)
- Make and maintain a straight body line from head to toes
- Maintain angle of 90 degree between your forearm and biceps
- Remain stable in this plank position as much as you can
- Relax after few minutes and repeat the process
3) Best Arm Exercises
Dips (Push Ups)
Push Ups is the best exercise to build upper body strength for building. It does not need any special arrangement or location for its execution. Triceps, pectoral and shoulders muscles are worked with this exercise. Proper form of push ups ensures working out of lower back and abdominal muscles.
How to do Push Ups Exercise (Step by Step Process)
- Get down on your two hands placing your hands slightly wider than your shoulders
- Touch your toes together or keep minimal distance.
- Straighten your arms and legs before beginning the pushups
- Lower your body until your chest nearly touches the floor.
- Get back to initial position and repeat the process
Bicep Curls work the biceps muscles at the front of the upper arm along with muscles of the lower arm, that is, the brachialis and brachioradialis. You can use dumbell or any form of dead weight for this exercise.
How to do Bicep Curl Exercise (Step by Step Process)
- You will need a dumbbell or some form of dead weight for doing bicep curl exercise.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand with your feet approximately shoulder wide apart
- Let your arms hang down at your sides with palms facing forward.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles and curl both arms upward until they’re in front of your shoulders.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells to original position and repeat the process
Plank to push-up
Plank to push-up exercise integrates the benefits of plank as well as push up in one exercise. It needs good control over form and body weight. Practice this exercise after gaining good stability over individual exercise.
How to do Plank to Pushup Exercise (Step by Step Process)
- Get into Plank position maintaining a constant slope of the spinal cord.
- Maintain 90 degree angle between the forearm and bicep.
- Now try to lift your body by straightening one hand so that your shoulder muscles come into action
- Repeat the process with other hand
- Make sure that your toes remain in fixed position throughout the exercise
4) Best Leg Exercises
Squats are the best exercise which you can do at your home during the lockdown period. If you want to burn maximum calories in minimum time, then you must go with squats. It Targets your leg muscles – quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves. It promotes body-wide muscle building and improves muscle mass.
How to do Squats Exercise (Step by Step Process)
- Stand straight with feet shoulder-width apart
- Tighten your stomach muscles and sit down as if you are sitting on an invisible chair.
- In downward squat position, angle between your legs and thigh must be approximately 90 degree
- While going down, bend backwards and make sure that knees do not come forward of chest
- Get back to standing position and repeat the process
If you are searching a home exercise for strengthening, sculpting and building several muscles/muscle groups then lunges will be a best option for you Because it works on various muscle groups including quadriceps (or thighs), the gluteus maximus (or buttocks) and hamstrings.
How to do Lunges Exercise (Step by Step Process)
- Stand with your feet shoulder’s width apart and keep your spine long and straight.
- Step forward with one leg (approx.1 Meter) and maintain spine alignment during forward squat.
- Get into a forward squat position until both knees are bent at a 90 degree angle.
- You can use dead weight or dumbbell to increase the intensity of exercise
Squat jump is an awesome combination of exercises which involves your butt, legs and core along with benefits of cardiovascular exercises. It increases your endurance and stamina along with core strength.
How to do Squat Jump Exercise (Step by Step Process)
- Stand Straight with feet hip distance apart (inline with shoulder)
- Now lower in the Squat Position by bending the knees
- Maintain the position and then jump high with your spine straight, chest lifted, and knees behind toes.
- Hold your hands high while jumping and then bring it back to the front position for maintaining the balance.
- Return to Squat position and repeat the process